The implementation of a Manufacturing Execution System (MES) can be a complex undertaking. However, some success factors help implement MES solutions with confidence. This blog details five key success factors involved in project implementation. Use them to help you master your MES implementation.
1) Have a clearly defined goal in mind
The first success factor is a clear vision and, along with it, an actual goal. These are the foundations of any successful business: they give the project a tangible direction and keep the team on track.
The focus should be on a defined goal in order to prevent possible wasted effort. Identify what you want to achieve and plan the steps to get there. These goals should be transparent to the entire team, as effective realization is only possible with commitment and cooperation – the better everyone involved understands their goal, the more motivated they will be to achieve it!
- Set a clear goal.
- Create a clear understanding for all stakeholders about the goal, activities, and tasks.
- Build a project team with members from different departments.
- Define specific success criteria.
- Communicate with all stakeholders openly and transparently.
2) Use preconfigured use cases
Use cases are an essential part of technology implementation. Knowing the recommended approach can help organizations avoid many implementation difficulties and execute processes more effectively. This approach conserves your resources, and instead of starting from scratch, you benefit from existing configurations. These include know-how about past projects, which helps you get to your goal faster.
In addition, it enables decision-makers to identify targeted solution paths and solve problems early. Use cases are an indispensable foundation for successfully implementing technologies today, as they already cover more than 80% of your requirements. The remaining 20% of your requirements need to be prioritized and addressed in an agile manner.
- Use preconfigured use cases to save time and money
- Acquire added values of the smart factory within a short time
- Prioritize the remaining requirements and implement them in an agile manner.
3) Don’t underestimate the effort
Expectations on both sides of a situation often majorly impact one’s ability to define success. Ideally, expectations are realistically measured before embarking on a new endeavor and excessive expectations of results are avoided. Therefore, another success factor is to assess effort properly. For a successful outcome, the responsible expert must predict the effort early. One can achieve success if one carefully weighs the cost and considers all the components.
- Set realistic expectations for the new technology.
- Assess the effort of the project realistically.
4) Approach the implementation gradually
MES systems have ushered in a new era of streamlined production control systems in the marketplace. Before any implementation, companies must consider taking a phased approach to get the most out of MES functionality and provide peace of mind for your employees. The benefits of phased implementation often allow companies to find an optimal solution for their specific MES system needs, which means cost savings and greater efficiency. In addition, the phased rollout process also facilitates implementation and infrastructure building, which is necessary to utilize the feature set efficiently.
- Use change management when implementing ME systems to manage foreseeable stresses and overcome unexpected challenges.
- Take a phased approach to avoid overburdening your organization.
5) Expand the scope of functions
Once a new system has been introduced, it is recommended that care be taken to continually expand the feature set over time. Keeping the system on the cutting edge of technology is critical to its continued success and relevance.
Once the MES is established, the next step should be to expand the functionality. It is important to incorporate feedback from system users.
This process requires continuous optimization and fine-tuning of existing functionalities as well as the addition of new ones. It is important to adapt to change while striving for stability. In this way, you can create a system that reliably provides you with the added value to compete in the marketplace over the long term.
- Start with the feature set that is necessary for you.
- Roll out the functionality across your plants.
- Expand the functional scope of the MES according to your needs.
Summary: Success Factors MES Introduction
Integrating new software like a Manufacturing Execution System (MES) can be a complex process that requires careful planning and execution. Your company can successfully navigate the rollout with the right team and a clear goal. It is important that you do not underestimate the effort required for such a project. Use a step-by-step approach to ensure a smooth rollout of an MES solution. Finally, continually look for ways to improve performance through continuous improvement. By keeping these success factors in mind, you can reap the benefits of an effective MES system.
In this post learn more about ME systems and what you need to know about them.